Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MC #1: My Romance or my Rubicon?

There you were. Hanging on that train pole while we moved through the tunnels, buried in your phone. I was staring far too long. I felt justified because I saw it. A flash in my eye of the possibilities of a hopeless, slightly demented romantic: a glance, a smile, a nod, a re-glance, an invitation, a courtship, a wedding, a life, and a funeral. As if some divine force was pushing me forward with the gift of precognition, I absolutely knew my life beyond was with you and you only.


I began to sweat, I couldn't control it! This was a pivotal point in my life. The fog of a dream began to surround my new-found linear trajectory. This was it. My vision tunneled to three points: the beautiful, glowing perfection of my future life embodied by her, the spheres of light appearing before me indicating my near-future footfalls, and an unmistakably dangerous and jarring line falling between us. One footfall, two footfalls, three footfalls, I was closer; she turned and stared into the very foundation of my being. This will be a story I tell every soul I meet, I thought quasi-aloud as I approached what I now realized was my own personal rubicon. My own thoughts began racing around my brain at incredible speeds. If I stop in my tracks does my life then takes a divergent turn but does that defy my fate; what is fate? Am I not a product of nurture and not nature? What if I never see her again? Is she thinking the same thoughts as I at this very instant?

I stopped. I turned. I walked away from my rubicon, pondering the potential shortsightedness or irrevocable regret.

***

(to respond email missedconnections@gmail.com)
(feel free to use the comments below for general comments, etc.)
(How to Interact)
1. A Missed Connection is posted on this blog.
2. Reply to the post via email with the intention of either 1) assisting the character-author in his/her search, 2) determining if you are the subject of his/her search, 3) general commentary about his/her post or search, 4) anything else you deem possible.
3. Receive a personalized response from the character. You may choose to continue the conversation. You may be the person he/she is searching for. The possibilities at this point are unknown and uncharted.
4. Responses and personalized conversations are posted on the blog at the discretion of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment